Tuesday, February 22, 2011

DIY Magnetic Palette Under $10!

HI! Well I bought a Unii Palette ($29) and kinda regretted it because it's so expensive!!! Whatever, I think it's still good for traveling though! I bought it basically just for the mirror. The mirror definitely will come in handy when traveling when I don't want to do my makeup in the bathroom (Which I don't like doing unless the hotel is 5 stars xD) I considered buying the Z-Palette or MAC Pro Palette, but remembering my last post to not buy anything, I decided to make my own DIY palette using cheap items I got at the dollar store and other stuff I already had at home!

I watched a lot of Youtube videos and read blogs on how to make one. Most people used DVD cases or CD cases. To be honest, I found that a bit... ghetto ^^ SO I decided not to use those things. I used an old air freshener container I found instead. HAHA i guess that's pretty ghetto too but this air freshener is really nice you'll see ;)

First I depotted most of my makeup. OMG. All Japanese cosmetics have a HOLE at the bottom. This makes depotting so simple! All I have to do is find that hole (it's usually under the label/sticker), then I poke it with my small scissors and voila! Out comes the pan!!! Easy! For my NYX Trio eyeshadows I nearly burned down my kitchen since I had to use candles. The smell of burning plastic was awful and I swear I don't want to go through that again. I love Japanese cosmetics that make depotting so so easy! Buying Japanese cosmetics from now on :)

Depotted Japanese makeup! Minus the small circular white one and bottom right. That's a b-day eyeshadow from Sephora and Boots Blush! :]

To make the Magnetic Palette


I used:
-Magnet Sheets from Daiso ($1.50)
-Adhesive Small Magnets from Daiso ($1.50)
-An old air freshener container I found
-Cardboard from packages
-Scissors
-Tape

Total Spent: LESS THAN $10!!!!


This is what I came out with! It's pretty good for DIY I think :) I sealed the holes so air doesn't get in. I love how the case has those holes and it's transparent so I can see what's inside:)


I cut out cardboard to fit my container. Then I stuck my magnetic sheet on top of the cardboard. Stuck the adhesive magnets to the bottom of my pans. The red tabs on the sides are for me to lift up that layer, as there is another layer of makeup under it ;)
(Hah, those are all my Japanese makeup! :) Lavshuca, Candy Doll, Fasio, Shu Uemura, Visee, Majolica Majorca, Anna Sui)

What's great about my container is that its pretty thick so I actually put a second layer under it~ As you can see I can fit 4 pretty large blushes here. There's still a lot more space left for me to put a many more eyeshadows^^

There you go! Hope you find this inspiring and come up with great ideas yourself. Instead of buying that expensive stuff online, save your money and look around your house for "trash" you can use to make your own :) I am glad I didn't buy the Z-Palette. My plastic container is way more sturdy I think! :)

4 comments:

Yumeko said...

looooove the diy! i love it when ppl turn trash into treasure! and who caressss if its ghetto XD well ok sometimes i care..sometimes XD

♥Yukari♥ said...

>>Yumeko

ahaha glad you like it^^ wahah yeah i only care if it's tooo ghetto :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is a great idea!! Keeps everything together and minimises space :)

Thanks for sharing! xo

PopBlush

www.makeupandhairfrenzy.blogspot.com

♥Yukari♥ said...

>> PopBlush

Glad you liked it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...